Innovation and know-how
Founded in 2004, Gauss develops and structures investment projects specialized in the energy sector in Mexico. Our activities include identifying, developing, structuring and managing investment opportunities in the power energy industry, particularly based on renewable energy sources.
Our capacity to identify investment opportunities in power generation from clean sources is grounded in a business model based on principles of sustainability and profitability.
Gauss offers new perspectives for turning vision into reality, business opportunities into profitable projects, and ideas into creative, realistic solutions. Specialized know-how and practical experience, a commitment to profitability and team work are essential for adding value to our projects.
We are at the forefront of the industry regarding new energy models, such as wind, solar, mini hydro, biomass and efficient co-generation.
Our leadership in promoting and developing opportunities in the Mexican energy sector is based on a comprehensive development platform, strict discipline, and our experience in designing and applying commercial strategies in highly regulated environments.
Our prime strength is our multi-disciplinary development team, with proven experience in the regulatory and institutional spheres, in business environments and in commercial trends in the energy sector.
Gauss can handle the challenges of project development and management within a framework consistent with the characteristics and complexities of the Mexican energy sector.
Our priority is the success of each project, so we meticulously analyze all the standards, regulatory, commercial and financial aspects involved in each project even before making strategic decisions about our role in it. Gauss has transformed strategic visions and development plans into highly profitable and value-added projects.
A unique business model based on sustainability and profitability.
Gauss’ team brings together a thorough knowledge of the country’s economic realities and an ability to optimize a project’s time-to-market. These characteristics have enabled us to transform intricate problems in the energy sector into viable solutions through innovation, specialized know-how and effective performance. Thinking out of the box is our main strength.
We have a multi-disciplinary team made up of specialists in the renewable energy industry, with an accumulated experience of more than 50 years in project development, energy regulation, financial structuring and management of power generation assets. Our extensive knowledge of the energy sector gives us the ability to propose innovative, realistic solutions, with a clear focus on social and environmental responsibility.
PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
- Headed the team that developed the Aura Solar I photovoltaic project with an investment of US$100 million.
- Participated in developing the Piedra Larga wind farm in Oaxaca, a pioneer in large-scale wind energy projects in Mexico, with an investment of US$400 million. Offtakers from this plant are Grupo Bimbo and Walmart de México y Centroamérica, among others.
- Helped complete the commercial structuring, design and execution of the PPA for the Bii Hioxo wind project; the energy goes exclusively to Grupo Chedraui.
- Worked on the development of the co-generation project Tractebel Energía de Monterrey, with an installed capacity of 250MW.
- Led the work of preparing structural reforms for the electrical sector, presented in 2000 by the President of Mexico to Congress.
- Coordinated the work team that prepared the main regulatory instruments governing the incorporation of private investment to Mexico’s natural gas industry.
- Proposed and promoted the necessary legal reforms to help eliminate monopolies in natural gas transportation, storage and distribution in Mexico, which required building consensus within the Economic Cabinet, Pemex, and the Mexican Congress.
- Was part of the negotiating team for NAFTA and other free trade agreements with Latin America, responsible for negotiating the Government Procurement chapter.
- Coordinated Mexico’s participation in the GATT and followed up on the Uruguay Round, which culminated in the creation of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Doctorate in Economics, Specialization in Econometrics and Labor Economy, Rice University, Houston, Texas, 1988
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Rice University, Houston, Texas, 1986
- Specialization course in Finance, ITAM, Mexico, 1983
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, ITAM, Mexico, 1982
- 2014 President of the Mexican Solar Photovoltaic Energy Association (Asolmex)
- 2012-14 Member of the Board of the Association of Rice University Alumni (ARA), Texas.
- 1989 National Economics Prize, Banamex
- 1999 Leaders of the Future, UNESCO/Interamerican Development Bank (IBD)
- 1990 Chihuahua Prize, Government of the State of Chihuahua
- 1983 Tlacaelel Prize, Consultores Internacionales
More than 20 years of experience in the energy sector, having played an active role in the promotion and development of infrastructure projects in Mexico. Working in the public and private sectors has given him a singular perspective on the industry’s programs and a broad strategic vision useful for proposing realistic and innovative solutions.
In 2004, he founded Gauss Energía, where he has identified, developed and structured investment opportunities in renewable energy projects totaling more than US$500 million. Under his leadership, Gauss Energía operates the Aura Solar I Photovoltaic power plant, the largest of its scale in Mexico and one of the largest in Latin America.
As CEO of Suez in Mexico, he lead the efforts to define a unique business model in the industry, in which three natural gas distribution companies were transformed into a single leading national provider of such services. Under his guidance, a corporate structure was created around major investments in energy infrastructure, including two co-generation projects.
During his term as President of the Energy Regulating Commission (CRE), from 1995 to 2000, he led the design of a regulatory and institutional framework for the natural gas industry, creating a climate of transparency and legal security for private investment.
- CFO for eight years in energy companies (natural gas, co-generation, solar) before joining Gauss Energía.
- Comptroller and financial director of various companies, both domestic and foreign.
- Handled various audits based on risk analysis and verification of compliance with IFRS, USGAAP, NIFS, SOX and other standards.
- Participated in the startup of an automotive plant, as well as in the introduction of continuous improvement and quality programs.
- Master’s degree in High-Level Business Management, Universidad Anáhuac, Mexico, 2003
- Postgraduate degree in Corporate Finance, Escuela Bancaria y Comercial, Mexico, 1997
- Undergraduate degree in Public Accountancy, Escuela Bancaria y Comercial, Mexico, 1996
Has 20 years of experience in accounting, finance, internal and tax control areas. Was CFO of one of the companies of Suez Tractebel and was active in that group’s corporate restructuring, which was the result of an intensive program of business development in the country, including two energy co-generation projects.
He joined Gauss Energía in 2013, and is responsible for administration of the group’s companies, particularly the financial operation of the Aura Solar I project. He is also responsible for analyzing the financial viability of new projects.
- In charge of the technical-commercial coordination of the Aura Solar I solar power project.
- Coordinated the structuring and guidance of processes for signing energy power purchase agreements for renewable energy electricity self-supply projects.
- Carried out technical and economic analysis for greenfield and brownfield power projects.
- Undergraduate degree in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico, 2009
Specialist in energy projects with a focus on renewable energies. Experience in technical and commercial structuring with an eye to capitalization, financing and execution of energy projects until their commercial operation.
At Gauss Energía, he is responsible for the technical-economic analysis of renewable source electrical energy projects, particularly their financial viability and energy efficiency, identifying advantages, disadvantages and the projects’ sensitivity to various aspects of the electrical market. Among these is the Aura Solar I project.
He also coordinates and negotiates permits and contracts with the Federal Electricity Commission and the Energy Regulating Commission.
- Part of the work team that developed the Aura Solar I photovoltaic power plant.
- Helped develop and install electrical power plants with various technologies.
- Was part of the construction team at the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS), where he was active in the quantification of electromechanical work, cost calculations, status reports and project estimates.
- Involved in various engineering activities for the Spanish firm Abener, a contractor for the CFE, where he was active in supervising testing laboratories, ready-mix concrete plants, assembly of mechanical equipment and integration of weld maps for pipelines and storage tanks.
- With the company Abeinsa, he helped develop the engineering, procurement and supply (EPC) contract with the CFE’s Morelos III 600 MW combined-cycle power plant, a 230 Kv transmission line and 25 km aqueduct.
- Project Management course, Abener, 2008
- Thermosolar Power Plant course, Renovetec, Mexico, 2000
- More than 20 courses on ISO 9000 standards, Laboratorio de Pruebas Equipos y Materiales (LAPEM), CFE, Mexico, 1999 – 2003
- Process Quality course, IMSS, 1999
- Degree in Electromechanical Engineering, Instituto Tecnológico de La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico, 1998
More than 15 years in electrical facility supervision and quality systems. Worked for a number of years at the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) where he supervised, implemented and maintained the ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management System, as well as the Environmental Management System. Expert in electrical power generation projects in Mexico and abroad, in combined-cycle plants as well as thermoelectric, thermosolar and photovoltaic energy.
At Gauss Energía, he is in charge of operating and managing the Aura Solar I photovoltaic power plant and coordinates the plant’s operating and commercial relations with the CFE.
- Part of the work team that handled Technical Assistance for the Under Department of New Execution Models at Pemex Exploración y Producción, now the Under Department of Business Development, regarding regulatory follow-up of comprehensive hydrocarbon exploration and production contracts at mature fields in the southern and northern regions and Chicontepec.
- Participated in the work team that incorporated domestic content policies into transactional contracts for Pemex Exploración y Producción.
- Helped transform Tractebel in Mexico into a leading nationwide energy company in the provision of natural gas and co-generation services.
- Participated actively as a liaison between Tractebel Mexico and the national electrical workers’ union (SUTERM) in negotiating the collective bargaining contract for personnel at one of the company’s co-generation plants.
- Cooperated with the CRE team in charge of designing structural reforms in the field of natural gas and electricity and the documents derived from that process.
- Supervised the publication, in Spanish and English, of legal instruments that made up the legal and institutional framework for the natural gas and electricity industry in 1995.
- Participated in the inter-secretarial group for Mexico’s adhesion to the OECD, at what was then Secofi, particularly in analyzing codes of conduct and the instruments that regulate the emergency mechanisms of the International Energy Agency.
- In charge of organizing the documentation produced during negotiations of the Government Procurement Chapter of NAFTA, which went into the White Book for those negotiations.
- Specialization course in GATT Trade Policy, Geneva, Switzerland, 1992
- Undergraduate level studies in International Relations, UNAM-Acatlán, Mexico, 1990
More than 20 years of experience in the Mexican energy industry, participating in the team in charge of designing structural reforms in the areas of natural gas and electricity, and the instruments derived from this process at the Energy Regulating Commission (CRE).
Has worked at Gauss Energía since its founding, more than 10 years ago. Currently in charge of managing contracts and public tenders with public-sector entities, as well as various administrative activities for the group’s companies, general services, customer service, and others. Also coordinates and administers operations of Gauss LP, an LP gas provider and exclusive distributor of translucent composite cylinders in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
- Technical-administrative coordination of the Aura Solar II photovoltaic power project.
- Involved in structuring and leading processes for signing power purchase agreements for wind energy projects.
- Master’s degree in Sustainable Technology Sciences, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 2012
- Entrepreneurship Certificate, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 2012
- Undergraduate Degree in Chemical Engineering, UNAM, Mexico, 2010
Specialist in the regulatory framework of Mexico and other Central American countries in the area of renewable energies and power purchase agreements.
Joined Gauss Energía in 2013 to help analyze power purchase agreements for renewable energy projects. Part of the team now developing the Aura Solar II photovoltaic power project in Central America.
- Development of financial models and projections for new projects.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics with a major in Political Economy, ITAM, Mexico, 2012
- Teacher’s English Certificate, The Anglo Foundation, Mexico
A specialist in financial analysis, she began her professional career in 2011 working as associate editorial director for the Gaceta de Economía at ITAM.
She came to Gauss Energía in 2013 and is currently in charge of supervising contracts for the projects developed by the company. She is involved in managing the assets of those projects from a financial standpoint.
- Managed the connections between commitments and recommendations derived from Mexico’s international agreements on climate change, and national policies, programs and projects.
- Provided consultancy and technical support to promote the coordination mechanisms needed to guarantee Mexico’s compliance with commitments assumed in various international and regional conventions relating to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Managed access to financial and technical resources for promoting policies, strategies and programs for climate change adaptation, mitigation and vulnerability (the Adaptation Fund, Green Weather Fund, ONUREDD, GEF, FCPF, and others).
- Coordinated and participated in the worktable on Streamlining National Regional Renewable Energy Project Processes between the public and private sectors.
- Coordinated and followed up on environmental permits for projects financed by the CABEI, the IDB and the WB.
- Advisor in dispute resolution between developers, indigenous and social groups, by coordinating dialogue initiatives.
- Served as a liaison for the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment in the Presidential Commission on Bureaucratic Processes to expedite private investment, where she was instrumental in the coordination of four wind projects.
- Participated in research on the application, promotion and development of renewable energies in Castille and León, Spain.
- PhD in Economics, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain, September 2014
- Specialization course in Environmental Management, Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana, 2011
- Master’s degree in Romance Languages and Spanish Literature, University of New Orleans, 2007-2008
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, University of New Orleans, 2006
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, University of New Orleans, 2006
With eight years of experience in renewable energy projects specializing in the coordination and supervision of power purchase agreements, she has been active in both the public and private sectors and as a liaison with energy regulatory organizations in Honduras. Before joining Gauss Energía as Development Manager for Central America, she was Climate Change Advisor to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock of Honduras.
She was Director of Modernization for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, where she assisted the Vice-Minister of Energy in coordinating, expediting and supervising renewable energy project permits and contracts.
She was in charge of coordinating the process of reforming special laws like the General Environmental Law and the Renewable Energy Promotion Law, among others.
Worked as a researcher at the Fundación Centro de Automatización, Robótica y Tecnología de la Información de la Fabricación (CARTIF) in Valladolid, Spain.
- Part of the work team that developed the Aura Solar I photovoltaic power project.
- Coordinated public policy proposals aimed at environmental sustainability and improving the income of poor rural families.
- Participated in the development of various projects, among them:
- Competitive factors in industry: Prices of energy and petrochemical inputs in Mexico and the rest of the world.
- Competitive factors in the automotive industry: Comparison between Mexico and Canada.
- Investment opportunities in renewable energy sources (Mexico).
- Risks and returns on investment in the Mexican energy sector.
- Potential for the development of electrical power self-supply and co-generation projects.
- Economic consultant on regulation of natural gas and LP gas in Mexico.
- Participated in NAFTA negotiations, in the chapters on Energy, Government Procurement, Foreign Investment and Market Access.
- Represented Pemex in free trade agreement negotiations with Colombia and Venezuela (G3) in the chapters on Energy, Government Procurement, Foreign Investment and Market Access.
- Specialization course in Transformational Leadership, ITAM, Mexico, 2010
- Public Management Improvement, IEXE School of Public Policy, 2009
- Master’s degree in Economics, El Colegio de México, Mexico, 1986
- Specialization course in Systems Engineering, IBM de México, Mexico, 1978
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, UNAM, Mexico, 1978
More than 20 years of experience in the public and private sectors. Worked as a consultant for various international firms in strategic planning and evaluation of projects in areas relating to oil and gas, the environment, renewable energies and basic petrochemicals. Participated in the design of natural gas regulation as well as self-supply and co-generation of electrical energy.
Was coordinator of advisors to the Chief Executive Officer of Pemex Gas y Petroquímica Básica, and worked with the Pemex team on NAFTA negotiations. She was also Associate General Director of Environmental Policy for the Mexican Presidency’s Social Cabinet.
At Gauss Energía, she is in charge of the economic analysis of projects in their various phases of development, as well as tracking economic indicators and updating data bases and projections on electricity prices.
- Application of strategies for project implementation through a strong link with the Marketing area.
- Budget preparation and execution.
- Process improvements and preparation, and contract review and adjustments.
- Developed improvements in online banking and systems functions for improving daily tasks.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Marketing, Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana, 2014
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana, 2012
Specialist in Finance and Business Administration. Before joining Gauss, where she is Administrative Manager for Central America, she worked at Banco Davivienda Honduras (former Banco HSBC) as Product Implementation executive.
During the time she completed her undergraduate degree she worked as accounting assistant in the Honduran insurance brokerage firm Coaseguros.
- As Certified Auditor for Bureau Veritas, he was part of the work team that handled the ISO 9001 Certification for the companies Astrollantas México, S.A. and Bandag México, S.A.
- Degree in Private Accountancy, Escuela Comercial Superior, Mexico, 1978
More than 30 years of experience in administrative and accounting areas.
Joined Gauss Energía in 2013, where he is responsible for accounting records and control of the group’s companies, particularly with regard to the Aura Solar I project.
- Panel meter maintenance technician at the CFE.
- Degree in Electromechanical Engineering, Instituto Tecnológico de La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico, 2013
Extensive experience in the maintenance of panel meters.
Joined Gauss Energía after completing his professional residency at the Aura Solar I Photovoltaic Power Plant in La Paz, Baja California Sur. Currently works as Operations and Maintenance Manager at the plant.
- Served as Associate General Director of Natural Gas for the Energy Regulating Commission (CRE)
- Part of the negotiating team for NAFTA and other free trade agreements between Mexico and Latin America, on the team in charge of the Government Procurement Chapter.
- Took part in the design and implementation of the Directive on Setting Prices and Rates for Regulated Activities in the area of natural gas.
- In charge of economic assessment of applications for natural gas transportation, storage and distribution permits.
- Supervised regulatory compliance by holders of natural gas transportation and distribution permits.
- Helped decide on methodologies for determining five-year efficiency factors of permit holders.
- Participated in the first five-year natural gas distribution rate review processes.
- Advised various companies on preparing economic proposals to participate in public tenders in distribution zones and in presenting five-year natural gas distribution and storage review proposals.
- Master’s degree in Industrial Economy, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid, Spain, 2001
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, ITAM, Mexico, 1991
More than 18 years of experience in the energy industry, particularly regarding economic regulation of natural gas transportation, storage and distribution systems. Has solid knowledge of the legal aspects affecting participants in the energy markets.
Currently works as an independent consultant affiliated with Gauss Energía, specializing in the economic and financial analysis of projects developed by the company, as well as macroeconomic analysis of Mexico and its impact on these projects.
- Worked at the CFE on supervising, implementing and maintaining the ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management System, as well as establishing the Environmental Management System.
- Served as director and administrator of the transmission system for the La Paz Sub-Area of Control, affiliated with the National Center for Energy Control. (Cenace).
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Universidad Internacional de La Paz, BCS, Mexico, 2003
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Guanajuato, Mexico, 1981
- Course in MS-DOS Operating System, ITLP, 1998
- More than 30 certification courses with the CFE, including:
- Quality systems
- Analysis of electrical power systems
- Operation of thermoelectric power plants
- Economic dispatch of electricity generation
- Regulation of dispatch and operation of the national electrical system
- Project management
- Financial management
More than 30 years of experience as an electrical engineer, developing supervision activities and quality systems in electrical facilities. Expert in electrical power generation projects in Mexico and abroad, in combined-cycle plants as well as thermoelectric, thermosolar and photovoltaic energy.
Joined Gauss Energía in 2013, and works as engineering advisor in the development of photovoltaic projects, particularly the Aura Solar I photovoltaic power plant, which has already begun operations, and the Aura Solar II project in Central America.
- Helped draft the legal opinion on the Small Production Regime for the Aura Solar I project.
- Participated in technical consultancy to the Under Department of New Execution Models at Pemex Exploración y Producción, now the Under Department of Business Development, regarding regulatory follow-up of comprehensive hydrocarbon exploration and production contracts at mature fields in the southern region.
- Part of the work team that incorporated domestic content policies into transactional contracts for Pemex Exploración y Producción.
- Advisor to various companies in the industry, including Gas Natural México, Gaz de France, Gas Natural del Noroeste, Tractebel, Cinergy and ConocoPhillips, TrasAlta, Promigas and Enagas, regarding various regulatory aspects relating to first-hand sale, transportation, storage and distribution of natural gas in Mexico.
- Member of the work team that prepared the guidelines on first-hand sales of natural gas, as well as the general terms and conditions for first-hand sales of natural gas at Pemex Gas y Petroquímica Básica.
- Member of the CRE team that reviewed permits for natural gas transportation, storage and distribution, including the natural gas transportation permit for the Pemex National Gas Pipeline System and the corresponding ruling, where he was in charge of preparing the final documents.
- Specialization course in Legal & Regulatory Issues in Power & Energy Sectors, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., 1999
- Specialization course in Orientation in the U.S. Legal System, International Law Institute, George Washington University, 1999
- Undergraduate degree in Law, Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico, 1996
Lawyer specializing in energy, with more than 18 years of experience in commercial and regulatory matters in the areas of natural gas and electricity. With experience in both the public and private sectors, he has been active in the execution of various projects relating to the restructuring of Mexico’s energy sector.
Currently an external consultant to Gauss Energía, specializing in the analysis of the Mexican energy sector legislation and regulation.
- Involved in preparing the legal opinion on the Small Production Regime for the Aura Solar I project.
- Member of the work team that provided technical assistance for the Under Department of New Execution Models at Pemex Exploración y Producción, now the Under Department of Business Development, regarding regulatory follow-up of comprehensive hydrocarbon exploration and production contracts at mature fields in the southern region.
- Coordinated the preparation of regulations on the Public Electrical Energy Service Law.
- Participated in the process of Mexico’s incorporation to the OECD regarding the energy sector.
- Founding commissioner of the Energy Regulating Commission (CRE) as of January 1994, where he was part of the work team in charge of reforms that permitted private investment in natural gas transportation, storage and distribution.
- Involved in granting the first permits for generation of electrical energy under the new legal regime, creating legal instruments for setting rates for back supply to cover failure and/or maintenance of power plants run by electricity generation permit holders, and the methodology for calculating charges for their service of transmission.
- Headed up legal efforts regarding reforms to the Regulatory Law for Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution in the Petroleum Branch, the creation of the Energy Regulatory Commission and drafting of Natural Gas Regulation.
- Reporting commissioner for the work on drafting various regulatory instruments, including various rulings on the proposed general terms and conditions for first-hand sales of natural gas, presented by Pemex Gas y Petroquímica Básica.
- Undergraduate degree in Law, UNAM, Mexico, 1972
More than 20 years of experience in legal aspects of the energy sector, such as reforms to the Regulatory Law for Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution in the Petroleum Branch, the Energy Regulatory Commission and Natural Gas Regulation. Helped design complementary instruments for regulating Mexico’s new natural gas industry, and regulations for first-hand sales of natural gas.
Currently works as an independent consultant affiliated with Gauss Energía, specializing in the analysis of legislation and regulation of the Mexican energy sector.
- Prepared info-structural systems to improve the regulatory efficiency of public tender processes, such as Comprehensive PPP Exploration and Production Agreements for mature oil fields in the northern and southern regions and the Chicontepec area.
- Part of the consulting group for redrafting contracts on Pipeline Gas Transportation Systems, for the Under Department of New Execution Models at Pemex Exploración y Producción.
- Served as Legal Counsel for an interdisciplinary government group on the electrical reform. Helped design rules and regulations for private investment in the electricity market, and adjustments to the Public Electrical Energy Service Law for independent energy producers.
- Involved in consultancy and operation of electronic governance projects at IMSS such as digital signatures, technological upgrade of national social security database, creation of the first digital hospital in Latin America. Prepared and negotiated multi-year contracts with Microsoft, HP, IBM, SofTech, Unysis, KPMG and SAP.
- Doctorate in Law, UNAM, Mexico, 2014
- Postgraduate degree in Administration of Information Technology and Infrastructure Projects, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., 2005
- Master’s degree in Law, UNAM, Mexico, 2002
- Undergraduate degree in Law, UNAM, Mexico, 1987
More than 20 years of experience in designing and introducing complex regulatory frameworks and in leading national and international public tender processes, in the areas of energy, finance, technology, communications and infrastructure, and in the organization of information for proper accountability.
With experience in both the public and private sectors, He has played an outstanding role in the execution of various public contracts for the provision of goods, services and works in Mexico. This experience has given him a thorough knowledge of the legislation and regulation applicable to such processes in this country.
External legal advisor to various public and private institutions, such as Pemex, Bansefi, IPAB, Nafinsa, Conapesca, the Federal Attorney General, and Ministries of Health, Economy, Environment and Natural Resources, Public Function, Labor and Social Planning, and Airports and Auxiliary Services. Has also worked with the CFE, the Federal Audit Office, the Supreme Court, Estudios Churubusco Azteca, Mainbit, Sanofi Aventis, and others.
In the public sector he has held various posts in legal areas and comptrollership.
Currently an independent consultant affiliated with Gauss Energía, specializing in preparing regulatory tracking systems for public tender processes and large-scale projects.
EDUARDO RODRÍGUEZ CHIRILLO
- Founding partner of the law firm ERC&Asociados, specializing in project structuring, investment, contractual negotiations and company-government disputes.
- Member of the consulting team for the companies Mercados AF/Sigla in the SINEA electrical interconnection project, for the regulatory harmonization of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile and Bolivia, and the progressive creation of a regional electrical market.
- Played a key role in designing, structuring, developing negotiating and executing all the contracts for the Aura Solar I project.
- Developed and designed the investment fund structures applicable to a portfolio of various renewable energy projects in Mexico.
- Legal counsel for companies in the energy sector such as the Federal Electricity Commission, Iberdrola, Gas Natural México, Cryoenergy, Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos (Demex), Abengoa, Mexicana de Lubricantes, Grupo Suez-Gaz de France and Cydsa, and others.
- Legal advisor to major electrical energy and gas consumer companies, including the companies of Grupo Alfa, Grupo Industrial Saltillo, BASF and Ternium (Hylsa), and Norwegian oil companies (INTSOK)
- Advisor to Concamin on the Climate Change Law in aspects relating to financing funds, carbon certificate market, clean development mechanisms, fuel subsidies and the development of renewable energies.
- Served as Director of Legal Services for Latin America at Iberdrola, where he worked on drafting and negotiating power purchase agreements with the CFE and industrial clients, machinery and construction contracts (EPC-BOP), project finance agreements with the World Bank and IDB, natural gas contracts with Pemex and Petrobras, natural gas hedge contracts, land purchase agreements, easements, rights of way and permits for independent generation of energy and self-supply, under renewable energy regulations of Mexico and Brazil. Also prepared analysis and legal interpretation of the regulatory framework for electrical markets (rates, universal service, affordable rates, free market, etc.)
- Participated in the legal aspects of construction, operating and maintenance of the Monterrey, La Laguna, Tamazunchale, Altamira III and IV and co-generation plants in Monterrey.
- Involved in the legal aspects of obtaining US$1.8 billion in financing for all of Iberdrola’s thermal energy plants in Mexico, which earned the Transaction of the Year recognition from Euromoney.
- Doctorate in Law, Universidad de Navarra, Spain, 1992
- Undergraduate degree in Law, Universidad Católica Argentina, Argentina, 1988.
- 2010 Associate Researcher in the Network Energy Center, Law Department, ITAM
- 2009 Active Member of the National Association of Corporate Lawyers in Mexico
- 2008 Permanent Observer to the Center for Legal Innovation, Development and Research for Latin America, Despacho Garrigues – Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM)
- 2001-04 Member of the Administrative Law Institute, the National Academy of Law and Social Sciences, Argentina
More than 20 years of experience as an attorney in investment projects for the energy and infrastructure sectors in various Latin American countries. Has solid know-how in both the legal and business aspects of the energy sector, particularly in the regulatory, contractual, corporate, financial and project development areas of electricity and natural gas projects. Has played an outstanding role in renewable energy projects and in analyzing regulation of regional electricity markets and climate change.
Has held a number of posts in public and private institutions and companies, giving him a broader view of the global energy sector, focused on the design of sustainable regulations.
Currently works as independent consultant, associated with Gauss Energía, specializing in drafting power purchase agreements (PPA), EPC and O&M contracts, as well as agreements relating to renewable energy project finance. Also participates in the legal analysis of breaches of those contracts.
Areas of specialization
We are pioneers in the use of renewable energies that reduce the carbon footprint of fossil fuels, identifying opportunities to promote their profitable development in our country.
We are at the cutting edge in new energy models that have potential in Mexico—like solar and wind power—and have the resources and technical capacity to originate, develop, structure and manage large-scale power generation facilities.
We have participated as developers in Mexico’s electrical industry. We are experienced in the design and implementation of a regulatory framework that today permits private investment in this sector. We also have proven experience in efficient generation projects, like exhaust recovery co-generation systems.
Our strength is the commercial structuring of projects through the latest contract models, consistent with bank requirements and with structured project finance schemes.
The gas industry is a tremendous platform for investing in Mexico, because it is one of the priority fuels of this country. At Gauss, we have extensive first-hand knowledge of the issues involved in transportation and distribution of natural gas systems.